Sunday, November 20, 2005

BATON DOWN THE HATCHES!!!

I woke up this morning to a perfect Brisbane blue sky yellow sun day and wondered a little to myself how the forecast for storms could possibly be right. "Maybe they'll come this evening", I thought to myself, before getting up and going about my day. Lisa and I pottered into town, I with my shirt off, soaking up the sun, loving the feel of the air on my skin. Pottering was done and Ice cream was eaten in the shade of a tree in South Bank before the potter back home. Shortly after arriving home, the most spectacular, long dark grey cloud appeared over the horizon off the back of our balcony. It was like a sheet being pulled across the sky towards us, being perfectly flat on its' underside. The only definition was on the front lip of the cloud, which had the appearance of a large wave breaking. All was still perfectly serene, the sun still shining, until this Behemoth arrived overhead. Upon its arrival, as if out of nowhere, the most incredible wind whipped up. We had all the doors and windows open and anything weighing less than two kilos or so was blown across the room. This wind was so strong that it even made opening and closing the sliding doors quite a feat. Looking off the balcony it was as if a hurricane was coming in, watching people who, having lain in the sun five minutes previously, were running for the shelter of their homes, gathering washing and anything else that might be blown away as they went. Others tied down tools and ladders lying exposed on the back of their utes and one brave (or very foolish) soul was still waterskiing on the river, albeit entirely at the mercy of the route the wind chose for him. Some quite spectacular cloud accompanied, photos of which can be seen on my flickr page.

1 Comments:

At November 22, 2005 2:16 am , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great pics Mart - we've had loads of lovely bright sunny days but I hear that snow is on it's way! Can you believe that - snow in November over here?! Enjoy the warmth whilst you can! Chilly hugs from Blighty xoxoxoxoxoxoxox

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home